How can I work as an expat?

If you’re planning to move abroad for a while, working as an expat is an excellent way to make money and help you settle in your new location.

The world is in need of skilled professionals – and globalization has made it easier than ever to find a career that suits your lifestyle abroad. But how do you go about getting a job as an expat?

Getting a job

If you are interested in working as an expat, it is important to know the right steps to take. This includes assessing the local job market, researching the cost of living and checking that you have all the relevant visas and permits.

One of the best ways to find a job is through networking. Reach out to friends and colleagues in the country you are moving to and ask them if they know of any opportunities.

Alternatively, you can also approach recruitment agencies that specialize in placing expats. They often know the local job market better than you do and may have relationships with top-tier companies.

If you want to get a job quickly, it is best to focus your search on in-demand positions that are not currently filled by locals. These include hospitality and tourism, English teaching, medicine, education and software development.

Finding a work permit

If you want to work as an expat, it’s important to know your rights and how to find a work permit. A work permit is an official document from the government that allows foreign nationals to earn income or compensation in a host country.

The permit varies in duration from country to country and can last for up to a year. The length of your permit can be determined by your immigration status and other documents you may have applied for.

A work permit is necessary for most types of employment in the US, including short-term unpaid internships and volunteer positions. Getting paid without authorization can cause serious immigration problems in the future, so it’s best to find a job with the permission of the employer and your local government.

A work permit is typically obtained through your school guidance counseling office or state labor department. You can also find out more about the process online.

Getting a visa

The first thing an expat should do is find out the visa requirements for the country in which he/she plans to work. If you want to go to Singapore, the UK, Hong Kong or the US, for example, it’s important to know that a working visa is required.

A work visa is an official stamp in your passport that lets you travel and work in a particular country for a certain period of time. Employers generally won’t hire a foreign worker who doesn’t have a valid work permit.

Getting a work visa involves applying at the embassy or consulate of the host country. You’ll need to provide your resume and other proof of work experience.

The process is usually processed in three to six months. However, it can take longer depending on the country, embassy or consulate, and your visa type.

Getting a work permit extension

A work permit is an EAD card issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It’s valid for one year and can be renewed multiple times.

Many noncitizens in the US need a work permit to stay legally employed in the country. This includes asylum seekers and immigrants who are adjusting their status to permanent residence.

Asylum seekers are generally given work permits that are valid for two years. If their asylum application is still pending after that time, they need to apply for renewal.

To prevent gaps in employment authorization, USCIS issued a rule in 2016 that offered 180-day automatic extensions to work permits that were timely renewed.

ASAP members worked to make this new policy possible. Thanks to your efforts, many asylum seekers’ work permits will now be extended for up to 540 days after their original expiration date.